Useful Information for Probationer Judges
- ALWAYS mention the breed number and date of birth of every exhibit and mention the actual points and body colour too in your critique!
- ALWAYS check the exhibit is the correct sex as entered in your judge’s book and your report reflects the sex of the cat/kitten/neuter. Proof read your report before forwarding it to the BAC.
- Check the head is smooth and rounded and there are no depressions on the forehead.
- The dip should be 'slight'. (NEVER say 'gentle' as that is Ragdoll terminology!). Be very strict about a 'Roman' nose or a nose with a bump. Always mention faults such as that.
- NEVER mention ear furnishings as the Birman SOP doesn’t!
- NEVER say the eyes are 'large' as it makes them seem 'Persian'!
- Always check there are both colours on every point on a tortie-point.
- NEVER talk about 'mittens' or 'boots' (Ragdoll terminology!)
- NEVER EVER talk about 'breeches' or 'britches'! The Birman SOP doesn’t!
- ALWAYS check for white on the chest and/or the belly.
- ALWAYS comment on brindling (pale hairs scattered among the points colour) – particularly on the tail!
- NEVER say the points 'match' or that 'All points were a deep, rich tone'; the legs will never match the mask or ears.
- Make allowance for a kitten’s mask 'developing'. but comment.
- Always write on the Birman you judge rather than copying phrases from the SOP.
- Comment upon the white feet in detail. Mention the gloves, the socks and the gauntlets.